top of page

Why do I need business insurance to cover my gear? - My gear is insured on my renters (homeowners) p

I just spoke with a professional photographer who is a member of the American Society of Media Photographers. She asked the above questions. Answer below:

I appreciate your belief that your renters (homeowners) insurance policy covers your equipment. Even though you scheduled your equipment it is most likely limited to $200 off premises. Because you use your camera equipment for your business, there are limitation and/or exclusions in your renters insurance policy. Regarding personal property (Coverage C), most renters (homeowners) policy's say:

"limitations apply to the following groups of personal property...the total amount of coverage for each group in any one loss is as follows: Property used or intended for use in a business while the property is away from the residence premises - $200." As you can see - if you use or intend to use your camera equipment for business you are limited to $200 coverage away from your apartment (house). A photographers business owners policy covers your equipment properly. Coverage is usually replacement cost value and in some situation (inland marine - commercial articles) actual cash value. In addition, you get general liability, professional liability (errors & omissions) , loss of business income, etc. I work with PPA and ASMP chapters (and non-members) to save photographers the financial hardship and grief of a denied claim. Of course, the above statements are advisory in nature and no guarantee of coverage. Refer to your specific policy for coverage's, limitations, and exclusions.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page